Do you consider yourself an evangelical Christian, do you? If so, then you should understand the definition of an evangelical and you should define in full, clearly, and factually, what it is you believe, the real biblical definition of an evangelical Christian. That is critical; for as our beloved Bible states so clearly, we should always be ready to give a reason for the faith, a full explanation, clear and understandable as to exactly:
WHAT WE BELIEVE
IN WHOM WE BELIEVE
George Barna, the respected pollster, himself a biblical evangelical, has defined what he considers to be the definition, THE PILLARS of evangelical faith and consequently a strong and solid definition of a real biblical evangelical. These seven cornerstones of an evangelical and one who holds a biblical worldview are as follows.
- GOD IS THE ETERNAL, OMNISCIENT, OMNIPOTENT AND JUST CREATOR. God therefore is eternal, always was, is, and always will be. The God we love and serve is without beginning or ending. Our God the Father is the great I AM. God knows all (omniscient). God is all powerful (omnipotent). God is just, a God of justice with clear rules and standards. Do you believe that? Do you believe those four things about our GOD THE FATHER of our Lord Jesus Christ? Do you?
- HUMAN BEINGS (ALL OF US) ARE SINFUL BY NATURE. From the beginning, the Garden of Eden, man and woman were of a sinful nature. We as human beings can not help but sin because of our sinful nature. Do you believe that? Do you think that is an essential component (pillar) of true biblical evangelical faith, do you?
- JESUS CHRIST GRANTS FORGIVENESS OF SIN AND ETERNAL LIFE WHEN SINNERS REPENT AND PROFESS THEIR FAITH IN HIM ALONE (ALONE). Our Lord Jesus Christ is the answer to sin, the ultimate forgiver of sin, and the granter of eternal life through belief in Him. All such happens when sinners repent (have you?) and profess their faith:
IN HIM ALONE.
Not of works, lest any man should boast, or a church, or a religion, or a denomination, but: 2
IN HIM ALONE.
Do you believe that? Have you sincerely repented and fully been granted the forgiveness of sin and eternal life through Jesus Christ THE LORD, have you?
- THE BIBLE IS TRUE, RELIABLE, AND ALWAYS RELEVANT. The Bible, our Bible, all 66 books, 39 Old Testament and 27 New Testament, are inspired, infallible, true in every way, and the only ultimate guide in life in the pursuit of that life and truth. Do you believe that? Do you believe it is reliable, a guide, a source, and always relevant, meaningful, current to the day, not subject to interpretation but stand-alone, do you believe that, do you?
- ABSOLUTE MORAL TRUTH EXISTS. And, that truth is defined by the Bible, by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, that essential part of the triune God, the Trinity. Do you believe that there is such a thing as absolute moral truth, do you? And, do you believe that such an absolute moral truth is in fact clearly defined by our beloved Bible, the gift of God the Father to us, do you? Do you believe that our Bible is the absolute and ultimate standard for:
RIGHT AND WRONG.
Do you? True evangelicals, says George Barna, do just that. Again, do you?
- SUCCESS IS DEFINED AS CONSISTENT OBEDIENCE TO GOD. Obeying God through scripture, commandments, standards, and a clear definition of right and wrong is essential for every true Bible-believing evangelical. Do you believe that obedience to God in every aspect of your life is necessary, a matter of ultimate truth and the hallmark, the cornerstone of every true Bible-believing evangelical, do you?
- LIFE’S PURPOSE IS TO KNOW, LOVE, AND SERVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND, AND STRENGTH. Do you know all you should know about the eternal God, God the Father, in order to have the fullest faith possible? Do you love God with all of your heart, soul, mind, and strength, do you as every true Bible-believing evangelical should, do you? And, to the best of your ability, do you serve our God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ with all of your heart, mind, strength, and soul, to the very best of your ability and with the strength and power of the Holy Spirit, do you as every true Bible-believing evangelical would, do you?
Of course, there is more to the definition of a true Bible-believing Christian, and even more to a true modern-day evangelical, much more in those 66 God-given books, MUCH, MUCH MORE! But these seven points, says pollster George Barna, are the cornerstones of a real Bible-believing evangelical and a true Christian who sees the world and the life we live through the lens of scripture (Franklin Graham) and possesses at all times a biblical worldview. Do you believe that, do you?
So then, the task of every Christian is to grow in faith, the knowledge and wisdom of our Lord Jesus Christ. The life’s task of every real true evangelical Bible-believing born-again forgiven Christian is to constantly define and redefine the faith, to learn more about it, to be able to give different and better reasons for that faith, to be proud and unashamed of that faith, and when opportunities arise, present that faith in the very best way possible. And, to live out that faith, to serve the Lord God Almighty, our whole life long. Do you believe that, and do you live that way, do you? That, says George Barna, Franklin Graham, and all true evangelical Christians and scholars is the definition of a real evangelical who knows that Jesus Christ and HIM ALONE is:
THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE.
I pray that is what you believe and who you are.